Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Toasted Baguette Slices

This is a great recipe because of its versatility. It makes a great foundation for homemade spreads, cheese dips, bruschetta, or to dip in some fresh soup. If you happen to have leftovers like I did, or just make a little extra, it is great chopped up and used as croutons to your favorite salads.

Today, I chose to make this recipe as a way to try out a new-to-me product from Trader Joes - Red Pepper spread with Eggplant and Garlic.

 Toasted Baguette Slices


To make this recipe, I chose to purchase my baguette from Trader Joes. It worked out perfectly because it was a much smaller baguette that the large french version. It was approx. 8 inches in length, providing more than enough for my boyfriend and I, with quite a bit of extra. I suggest that if you have a larger family to accommodate purchasing a french baguette or traditional length. If you cannot find a smaller baguette, this recipe freezes well and can be easily defrosted.



Ingredients:
1 Baguette (This recipe accommodates a 8 inch baguette, I would double it for a traditional sized french baguette)
1/8 -1/4 cup Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (depending on how much cheese you like)
1/2 tbsp Mrs.Dash garlic and Herb seasoing (or your own blend of garlic and italian herbs)
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 - 2 tbsp Olive Oil (Using my Misto I used around 1/2 a tbsp, check out my Misto review to see why it is so amazing!!)


To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. After preheating, you are going to want to slice your baguette, I aimed to get my slices about half an inch thick, and cut them at an angle because I like that way that looks, and it increases the size of the slices slightly.

Next, you are going to want to lightly coat your slices with your olive oil. I used my Misto, and sprayed it on. You could also use a pastry brush, moisten a paper towel with your oil, or just drizzle it on to your liking. You just want a light coating to help the bread brown in the own and give the seasonings something to stick too.

After coating with oil take your seasonings and cheese and sprinkle on top of the bread.


 After your oven is preheated, place your slices onto a cooking sheet and allow to bake for 5 - 10 minutes. You are looking for the edges to develop a bit more color, but want the center to stay slightly moist and chewy.



When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. We chose to top ours with a great spread from Trader Joes.


Heres what we topped it with! This was a great side dish/carb to go with my buffalo chicken and green beans, but also makes a great snack or appetizer at a party!



No comments:

Post a Comment