Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review: Trader Joes Frozen Organic Brown Rice

This is a review based on the organic version of the Trader Joes brown rice, but honestly, both versions are JUST as good and similarly priced. I just feel better purchasing my rice organic when I have the opportunity.



I wanted to review this rice because it has been a huge time saver in my home. I have tried so many different methods in teh past to cook rice and have it be quick. I have a fancy rice cooker, I have used the pot, I've tried the 'quick' boil, I've tried it all!! I find that all those methods take too much time, create a mess, and don't store very well (I can only store it in the fridge for so long!!)

My go to method before my mom showed me the path of TJ's brown rice, I used to buy boil in a bag white rice because it was easy, tasted okay, and didn't make a mess. Basically finding the microwavable equivalent was even better, PLUS its brown (wasn't a fan of boil-in-a-bag brown rice)!!

So when it comes down to it, I really just hate making rice. Also, to add more of an issue -- i rarely liked the way I cooked brown rice. I found it to be difficult to work with, and just all around inconvenient. So yes, I probably could save a few dollars here adn there buy buying sacks of rice over the frozen version, but the frozen works so well for me that I find it worth it!

The rice comes in 3 individual packages, each with 2 cups of precooked frozen rice. The rice is extremely delicious, if you've ever had other frozen rice and hated it -- try this stuff anyway! It is SOOO GOOD. I put it in the microwave in its plastic for 3 minutes and its perfect.

Usually we each eat 1/4 cup of rice, so we use half the package between the two of us. This allows for the second half to be eaten at a different meal.

I pay 3.79 (I believe), for the organic, and I think it is about .20 cents cheaper to get the non organic. This rice is a huge staple in our home, and we use it for additional carbs, stir frys, chicken bakes, basically anything you would use rice for!! If you are trying to increase your rice intake, or just hate cooking it like I do -- i highly suggest this rice.

1 comment:

  1. Rice is the seed of the grass species Oryza sativa (Asian rice) or less commonly Oryza glaberrima (African rice). For more info see basmati rice glycemic index

    ReplyDelete