Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

From Frozen: Chicken and Kale Green Veggie Stir Fry

My first recipe is one that I make often for my boyfriend, who is a very health conscious eater. He will actually eat this entire recipe after a day of working out, or just a long day. Normally this recipe would be enough for two people, and I would serve it with a side of brown rice for a carbohydrate.
 
 
Chicken and Kale Green Veggie Stir Fry (From Frozen)
My boyfriend eats basically everything with mustard, which is why it made it into the picture :)


Ingredients:
1 tsp oil (butter, coconut, olive, whatever you choose)
2 heaping cups Diced Frozen Cooked Chicken (See diced frozen chicken recipe, or store bought will do)
1 cup frozen broccoli florets (or broccoli cuts)
1 cup frozen kale
1 cup frozen snow peas
1/4 cup frozen peas
3-4 crushed garlic cloves (I keep mine frozen)
1/4 -1/2  cup of hot water (You can substitute for broth, if you choose)

Seasonings:
1 tbsp black pepper
salt to taste
1 tsp chili powder

 *Optional*
I added 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, and an additional tablespoon of chili powder, but I like it to be spicy!! It is JUST as good without the added heat.

Times:
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 12 -17 minutes 

Servings: 2 full portions

Instructions:


Heat the pan over medium heat to get your oil warm. Add the diced chicken, kale, snow peas and garlic (NOT the regular peas, yet!!) and 1/4 cup of your hot water. Add your seasonings, give it a stir, and put the lid/tin foil on and allow that to cook 7-10 minutes, checking after ever 2-3 minutes for the liquid level. You want there to be a small amount of water in the bottom of the pan at all times (at this point) Add more of your hot water as needed. You should not need to add too much water, as the frozen veggies and chicken will release some liquid. After 7-10 minutes you are looking for the vegetables and chicken to be completely heat through at this point.

After the 7-10 minutes remove the lid/foil and pour in your 1/4 frozen peas. There should be liquid left in the bottom. At this point your going to cook the food on medium heat for another 5 - 7 minutes or so, until the liquid on the bottom 90%
gone. Give it a taste test for seasonings, and serve!

This is a really healthy recipe, that can be adapted multiple ways to suit your families tastes. Sometimes I use the peas + carrot variety of vegetables, sometimes I emit certain ingredients. This is a really basic recipe that can be made most nights of the week inexpensively, and quickly.


If frozen vegetables aren't readily available for you, check on my recipe on how to make this meal from fresh here!

1 comment:

  1. This looks very interesting to try! I will create this with my other recipes on my cook book tomorrow, because my friends are coming to visit me in my house, this recipe and my other recipes are perfect for them.

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete